April 20, 2004
Love & dating...14
Ever wondered if you would stop in the middle of Orchard Road, turn to your bf/gf and start french kissing for 2 minutes (only, some think), ignore all stares and finger-pointing... just right there, right then, kiss?
I can think of one reason why we don't do it - Singapore is a damn hot and humid place to kiss. Think Paris. Kissing in the middle of a slow stroll is probably as common as the 'Hi, can I take up a few minutes of your time to do a survey?' teenagers in Orchard Road.
I know of a couple who got scolded by a passerby when they kissed in East Coast Park. They probably felt it most unjust since there were still many others who were kissing too. Maybe it's the way they kiss then... (haha.. kidding sia)
Personally, I don't think there's anything distasteful or rude about kissing in public. A kiss is an expression of affection, greeting or just respect. A french kiss is probably more of affection and amorousness, but, if it's restricted to just that, I don't see what's the problem. After all, we do see huge billboards and posters of models kissing (think perfume adverts).
On the other hand, I have seen man who gropes the butt of his girlfriend on trains and young teenage couples doing things on buses that they should do at a more discreet setting (pls ref to one of my earlier posts). I can understand why the aunties and uncles find these distasteful and enough to warrant a good hard stare. For myself, sorry to say but I just find it amusing.
Actually, we are already a very repressed society. There's nothing wrong with some PDA (geeks out there, tis one means Public Displays of Affection! DUH!). I, for one, know that I'd find it most encouraging and heartwarming to see a couple kissing passionately in public. To begin with, a couple must be really comfortable with themselves and with the environment they are in to be able to display their PDA. And if indeed so, who's to say they're doing something wrong?
This world is getting insane, where is the love? Those of you who can, pucker up and spread some warm fuzzy feeling to the rest of us here.
(Ahh, I'm in a romantic mood, ain't I?)
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 23:24